Legal online sports betting is available in 19 states and is working to make it a reality in Ohio and Maryland. For states that have adopted mobile apps, such as New York, Michigan, Arizona, and Louisiana. Competition is heating up as major sportsbooks continue to battle for market share.
Getting started is quick and easy. with a simple registration process that you can complete online or from a mobile device in most regions. This page will show you everything you need to know about legal sports betting in the USA, where to start and the best sports betting apps with bonus offers.
Is online sports betting legal in the United States?
yes, in some places online sports betting has been legalized in many states so far. And the list should continue to grow in the years to come. In 2018, the Supreme Court transferred jurisdiction over legal sports betting to individual states. While sports betting is legal in many states, the law has yet to be passed at the federal level.
The Best Sports Betting Sites and Apps in the United States
Below are details of all the best online sports betting apps available for legal betting in the USA. App availability varies by state. Indeed, some applications have more than 20 options while others only have one or two.
The list of mobile sports betting options keeps growing. Here are the top picks. available in many states
The daily fantasy sports giant is one of many airlines awaiting a Supreme Court ruling in 2018. The company is New Jersey’s premier online and mobile option, with DraftKings expanding into multiple states and having expansion plans. Next up, sports betting app DraftKings is known for its nifty platform and live betting features.
FanDuel Sportsbook was first published in New Jersey in 2018. It has since become a popular choice for legal sports bettors in many states. The FanDuel app is one of the smoothest and most user-friendly. With the largest number of users in the industry, with popular highlights including the innovative Parlay feature for matches.
FOX Bet app
Launched as a team effort by media giants FOX Sports and The Stars Group, the platform has gained significant visibility on FOX Sports, providing ongoing promotions tied to the FOX network personality. The bet is more geared towards new players. And he’s working to launch it in more states.
BetMGM has become the market leader in many jurisdictions. Strong market power has helped the company gain traction, as with many strategic market managements. Some of BetMGM’s best strengths are the very in-depth sports betting.
PointsBet in Australia launched in New Jersey in 2019 and has since expanded to other states. This website is aimed at sports bettors and offers a unique betting option called PointsBetting. The company has attracted a lot of attention with its recent deal with NBC Sports and is still actively seeking market share.
Caesars Sportsbook’s presence grew exponentially following the completion of the US acquisition of William Hill’s assets. It’s now available in nine states and more steps are being taken. There is a lot of experience behind the scenes. The result is a very robust mobile experience for sports betting, odds and lines.
BetRivers comes from Rush Street Gaming, the parent company of PlaySugarhouse, an affiliate site. The company also owns retail casinos in several states. BetRivers is known for its solid offers and good loyalty programs.
As the most popular bookmaker in the UK and Ireland, Betway entered the US market in CO, IA, IN, NJ and PA. You can expect a bug-free app with a clean design and a wide range of sports to bet on. especially with the European leagues.
Legal Online Sports Betting Where Can I Place My Bets?
The list of legal online sports betting in the United States continues to grow. There are currently 21 states and Washington, D.C., but the official launch is yet to come.
Arizona Online Sports Betting
Arizona legalized sports betting in April 2021 after months in the state legislature and public statements of state support for Doug Ducey. Retail and online sports betting in the Grand Canyon State. DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM and Caesars were among the first sportsbooks to open in Arizona.
Colorado Online Sports Betting
2019 Colorado Voter Approved Legal Sports Betting. The official online and mobile launch took place on May 1, 2020 with all DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers and BetMGM going live. same day Many other entrepreneurs have already lived in the state.
Connecticut Online Sports Betting
Legal Online Sports Betting Available in Connecticut to be released October 2021 by DraftKings, FanDuel and PlaySugarhouse. Available for instant players Tribal new state game allows individual betting and online sports betting in the state. The Gaming Division of the Department of Consumer Protection will monitor the new marketplace when it launches.
Florida Online Sports betting
In April 2021, Governor Ron DeSantis signed a 30-year contract with the Seminole Tribe of Florida, outlining Florida sports betting. It was approved by the state parliament in May and signed shortly thereafter. The first online sports betting book (Hard Rock Sportsbook) was released in November 2021, but legal hurdles remain for the industry.
Illinois Online Sports Betting
A law was also passed in Illinois in 2019, which was officially implemented in March 2020. At first, only small bets were allowed. Self-registration is required for online and mobile players. This provision expires March 5, 2022. Illinois sports bettors can download, create an account and bet anywhere in the state. DraftKings, BetMGM, PointsBet, BetRivers and FanDuel are some of the best sports betting sites in IL.
Indiana Online Sports Betting
Sports betting was legalized in Indiana in 2019. The start went quickly. with a retail option launched in September of this year. Online and mobile launches followed in October. DraftKings and BetRivers were the first online sports betting sites to be made available, followed by FanDuel a month later. The list of available options keeps growing.
Iowa Online Sports Betting
Iowa is also one of the states where sports betting was both legalized and passed in 2019. The law was passed in May. It will launch in retail and mobile in August. Starting in January 2021, online and mobile users will be able to register in the sports betting app from anywhere in the state. As the terms of the manual expire on December 31, 2020, Iowa-based service providers include DraftKings, PointsBet, and Caesars.
Louisiana Online Sports betting
Voters decide whether to approve sports betting in Louisiana in November 2020. but not in all territories Online sports betting is available in 55 of 64 territories. The Louisiana sports betting app will launch on January 28, 2022 with six providers, including FanDuel, DraftKings and Caesars.
Michigan Online Sports Betting
Sportsbooks were enacted in Michigan in December 2019, retail sportsbooks opened in March 2020, and mobile sportsbook apps became legal for sportsbooks in Michigan in January 2021. Nearly a dozen sportsbooks mobile sports betting options are available in Michigan.
Nevada Online Sports Betting
Nevada’s day as the only choice for legal sports betting in the US It’s over Not much has changed for the state since the SCOTUS ruling. Although the state is best known for in-person gambling at Las Vegas casinos like Westgate and Caesars, the state also offers online and mobile options. Providers like BetMGM
New Hampshire Online Sports Betting
Sports betting officially launched in New Hampshire in December 2019 after being approved by the legislature earlier this year. Approval applies to both retail and mobile communications. But the situation in NH is unique. DraftKings is an online and mobile sportsbook in the state and is the sole retail operator.
New Jersey Online Sports Betting
The Garden State was one of the first. This follows an important Supreme Court decision. Retail sportsbooks launched in June 2018. DraftKings was the top online option in August, followed by PlaySugarhouse and FanDuel. There are now nearly two dozen NJ sports betting apps on the market.
New York Online Sports Betting
New York began its legal presence in sports betting in 2019 with retail operations in commercial and tribal casinos. In April 2021, Governor Andrew Cuomo added online sports betting to the state budget. both New York mobile sportsbook houses went live in January 2022, Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel and BetRivers soon joined BetMGM and PointsBet.
Pennsylvania Online Sports Betting
Pennsylvania is one of the states moving quickly after the PASPA decision. Retail sports betting opened in November 2018. The official launch of online sports betting took place in May 2019. SugarHouse Books, the first mobile bookmaker, was released and was quickly approved by its subsidiary BetRivers and other companies like DraftKings and FanDuel.
Tennessee Online Sports Betting
The state of Tennessee sanctioned sports betting in April 2019, a unique scenario as retail sports betting is not expected in the state. Sportsbooks will be able to place their mobile bets from November 2020, with only a handful of online sportsbooks to choose from.
Virginia Online Sports Betting
Sports betting was legalized in Virginia in April 2020 and the first official sports book was introduced under state law in January 2021. There will be at least four mobile sports betting options and up to 12 choice.
Washington DC Online Sports Betting
The city council approved sports betting in 2018, but the law won’t be signed until next January. GambetDC, a lottery offering and operated by Intralot, is an online and mobile option. The Caesars sports betting app has been exclusively available to local players since its launch in 2020 and is only available in geographically restricted areas around Capital One Arena.
West Virginia Online Sports Betting
West Virginia has also begun to respond to the Supreme Court’s decision. Retail Sportsbook opened in September 2018. BetLucky is available as a mobile option for a limited time. But it was closed the following year because of a technological dispute. DraftKings and FanDuel went live on WV soon after. and was joined by other operators.
Wyoming Online Sports Betting
Wyoming became the first state to legalize mobile sports betting in April 2021 and launched the state’s first sports betting app a few months later in September 2021.
Upcoming Legitimate Online Sports Betting
Maryland Online Sports Betting
like in Louisiana, Maryland, voters will pass a referendum in November 2020 to allow sports betting in the state. State legislatures officially introduced and legalized online gambling in 2021. The application process for operators is still ongoing and is expected to be very competitive. Legal online sports betting is expected to start in early 2022.
Ohio Online Sports Betting
It’s been a long walk for the Ohio legislature. But lawmakers passed the Sports Betting Act in December 2021, which Governor Mike DeWine signed into law shortly after. The Ohio Casino Control Board is working to rewrite the rules of the industry. The commission has until January 1, 2023 to officially launch sports betting in the state. Up to 25 online sportsbooks will be available in the state at maturity.
There is another group of states that also offer online sports betting. Although there are very limited options for users. While many legitimate marketplaces take a competitive, multi-vendor approach, others have chosen one or two options to control the marketplace. Here are the details about these states.
• Oregon: The Oregon Lottery is responsible for all sports betting in the state with the optional mobile-only dashboard app.
• Delaware: Although sports betting is legal in Delaware, all bets must be placed at one of the state’s three casinos.
• Rhode Island: Online sports betting is regulated by the Rhode Island Lottery and powered by the William Hill/IGT platform.
• Mississippi: Small sports betting is currently the only legal option. While efforts to expand online have not progressed.
• South Dakota: Gambling is currently limited to in-person wagering at Deadwood casinos.
• New Hampshire: Sportsbook is operated by the New Hampshire Lottery, which partners with DraftKings for mobile betting.
• Montana: To legally place bets in Montana. The user must be within range of the authorized dealer’s location.
A practical thing about sports betting is that there are many options to consider. You can buy your favorite place to play. And, for example, focus on at least one bet that matches your approach as well as what you are betting on. From popular games and leagues to useless games. Something for everyone Here is an overview of the most popular sports to bet on.
• NFL Betting: The NFL is the most popular sport to bet on in the United States. Super Bowl betting is the biggest annual one-day event for sportsbooks. And they will do their best with hundreds of stakes for players to consider.
• NBA: The NBA has firmly established itself as the second most popular choice for sports betting in terms of total volume. During NBA seasons and playoffs, each game draws even more attention and bets.
• MLB: Gone are the days when MLB was the most popular sport in America. But he still has many followers. There is a lot of interest on opening days. and again, during the MLB and World Series playoffs.
• NHL: Although the NHL pursues the three common interests in the spirit of the common good, it is also a sport with incredibly loyal and passionate fans. As the Stanley Cup playoffs unfolded, it continued to increase until the championship was crowned.
• College Basketball: Many veteran amputees turn here after the football season ends. Regular season college basketball is popular. But the sport has captured plenty of attention with its flagship betting event of the year – March Madness – leaving even the most casual fan out of the loop.
• College Football: For the fall and winter football that’s turning the conversation around in the American sports world. Although college football is not at the level of the NFL in terms of overall popularity. But there are games on the cover that are on par with professional games. This is especially true for bowl season and the college football playoffs.
How to bet on sports online?
Although registering to play in legal status is not difficult. But what to do from there can lead to many questions. The good news is that the learning curve in sports betting can be overcome. We have a number of dedicated resource pages which provide detailed information on all the basics.
• Sports Betting Odds: Sports betting and numbers go hand in hand. One of the most important areas for anyone new to the game is odds. After tasting a little, you will be able to figure out the most likely result. Possible rewards for winning bets And which site is publicly endorsed by simply studying the odds?
• Moneyline: This is an easy bet and a good starting point for beginners. When betting on Moneyline, all you have to do is decide which side you think you’ll win. There will be odds for both sides: negative numbers for the favorites and positive numbers for the losers.
• Parlay: A parlay is a bet where you combine two or more outcomes into a single pick. There is a chance of good returns. But you must have full selection rights to have a winning ticket. Thus, your chances last longer. One of the biggest sources of sports betting bans every month comes from parlay betting.
• Spread: In short, the point spread attempts to level the playing field between two teams. It’s like a winning margin that you have to take into account when making your bets. Scatter betting occurs in many sports. However, they may have different names, e.g. B. Line betting in MLB or puck betting in NHL.
• Total: This bet is also called Over/Under. And it is a bet on the total score of the match. Odds makers set a comparison number. The player then bets whether the actual score will be higher or lower than this amount. Both sides’ odds are subject to change in response to bets.
• Props: Pole bets can revolve around the performance of teams or players during the match. or in the overall competition A Prop is a side bet on what may or may not happen. Support betting on player performance has a lot in common with fantasy sports. They have become a natural starting point for many new players.
• Teaser: Teaser bets allow you to move points across two or more games. You can change the line as you wish. Make winning bets easy. But it also reduces your potential earnings.
Legal and Offshore Betting
The best sports betting options in the United States come from sites licensed to operate in that state. And those on the list of approved contractors have invested heavily in it.
While there is still a black market in sports betting via illegal offshore sites. But there is no reason to risk it. Here are some key points to understand.
• The Illegal Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was passed in 2006 to crack down on offshore operators. The law is aimed at businesses. However, to prevent doing business in the United States, many companies still do so, claiming to be a legal gray area.
• Offshore operators are not subject to the same rules and regulations as legal US gambling sites. There is no guarantee that your funds, data or information will be kept secure.
• Legit sports betting sites have clear terms and conditions. House rules that players must follow. Various regular financing options and easily accessible customer service options. This is not the case for offshore sites.
What you can’t legally bet in the USA
Each state has its own rules and regulations for sports betting. Although not all markets are completely equal. But what is authorized or prohibited is a single common space. Here’s what you can’t bet on in legal online sportsbooks in the US:
• High schools’ sports
• Sports involving athletes under the age of 18
• Elections in the United States – municipal elections, state elections, presidential elections, etc.
• weather event
• Reality TV results
• Oscars and other awards
Oscar bets have been offered in some markets for the last item on the list. Technically, however, sports betting should revolve around actual sporting events in the legal market. The lines are a bit fuzzy for the Super Bowl, as off-court props like the effect of a toss are allowed.
Another topic that requires special attention is how to handle college sports betting. Although it is legal in all states. However, there are some limitations. For example, New Jersey players are not allowed to bet on state programs or events. But neighboring Pennsylvania has no such restrictions.
Other states, like B. Colorado allow pre-game betting on college football and basketball. But props in these games are prohibited. For more details on what is and isn’t allowed in each market, our comprehensive government guide provides additional information.
Why not bet on the elections or the weather?
Although there has been much debate over betting odds for major political events like the US presidential election, this is not always the case. Betting on the outcome is always illegal. Much of the story may get stuck in betting on who will be the next president. But that doesn’t mean it’s legal.
Legitimate and regulated operators offer odds and markets on sporting events. You won’t find the opportunity to bet on the weather or reality TV in the department stores. And there’s a simple reason for that: not allowed
How legal is online sports betting in the United States?
Challenges in New Jersey
New Jersey voters passed a nonbinding referendum in November 2011 that ordered the state legislature to legalize sports betting. The legislature quickly passed legislation that would regulate sports betting at New Jersey racetracks and Atlantic City casinos. Governor Chris Christie signs the law.
Major league sports challenged New Jersey in court, arguing that the state was not exempt from PASPA; Sports betting cannot therefore be legalized. The lower court judgment favored the league. And the 3rd Circuit of Appeals confirmed that the US Supreme Court declined to hear the case at the time.
New Jersey, try it from a different angle. The state is trying to repeal the rules and punish sports betting apps in the same places as before. Sports leagues are back in the field, challenging new approaches to sports betting. The Sports League prevailed in the lower courts and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
New Jersey was able to appeal and practice in the third round, which also lost. The Supreme Court accepted the hearing, and New Jersey won the case in May 2018.
The American Gaming Association’s perspective
The American Gaming Association is the gambling industry’s lobby group. It maintains a black market of illegal and overly lucrative gambling that thrives in an unregulated environment. The AGA supports the repeal of PASPA and strongly encourages states to create their own sports betting laws.
Daily fantasy sports and sports betting
Daily fantasy sports are considered legal in at least 40 states, depending on the company promoting the product.
There is a big difference between Daily Fantasy Sports and sports betting.
In sports betting the bettor selects a team or teams to win or cover the scatter. In everyday fantasy sports, the user selects an athlete and enters a competition that calculates the winner based on statistics collected from players in the sport.
FAQ for betting sites
Is online sports betting legal?
Yes, but it depends on where you are. Legal sports betting is available online in many of the states mentioned above. You don’t have to be a resident of the state to bet there. However, you must be in the state to legally place online sports bets.
Is sports betting legal in Europe?
Online sports betting is legal in most parts of Europe, including the UK. This includes gambling stores, mobile apps and the internet. Some of the best online betting sites in Europe are now available in the United States.
What is the safest betting site?
The safest online sports betting options come from legal and regulated operators. DraftKings and FanDuel are two examples of operators licensed to open multi-state businesses. Legit and regulated websites go through a lengthy application process. Comply with specific rules and regulations. and check if the customer’s money is safe. This is not the case with unregulated options that may be available.
Why do some online sportsbooks accept cryptocurrencies?
where the legal online sports betting cryptocurrency is not on the list of approved funding options. The only exception to this rule is in Wyoming. The state recently embraced online sports betting, declaring that cryptocurrencies are allowed for payouts. moving forward We may see this become an option in other jurisdictions. Currently, cryptocurrency options can often be found on illegal and unregulated websites.
Do I need to pay taxes on my winnings?
Yes, winnings from sports betting or other games of chance are taxable income in the United States. If you win above a certain level The supplier may provide a 1099-G indicating your level of winning. And the form is also filed with the IRS. It is good practice to keep
track of all deposits and withdrawals you make for gambling purposes. If you have specific questions about your personal situation, we recommend that you contact a tax advisor.
Is Bovada a legal United States sportsbook?
No, Bovada is an unlicensed sports betting site. Doing business in the United States is illegal, but the player is unlikely to face any legal consequences.